Sometimes, riding & owning horses is really tough; I know, I’m with you. Now don’t get me wrong, there are many many brilliant and rewarding things about having a life with horses, but sometimes it’s really hard to get out of a low spell.
Perhaps you’ve just bought a new horse and the honeymoon period has ended; things just aren’t going as you had hoped they would and you’re not entirely sure how to fix it… so your motivation to ride disappears. Maybe you’ve had a fall and lost your confidence (yes, I do know how that feels, I’ve been there!), and you’re struggling to put your foot in the stirrup and ride. Of course, you might be in a low spell; you’re lucky enough to get out and about enjoying yourself with your horse, but can’t quite think of what to do or focus on when you’re schooling your horse at home.
Whatever the reason, I’d like to help.
But then, whichever way you look at it, owning horses is really expensive! Why on earth should you invest in training and coaching? Well here’s the thing; we spend vast amounts of time, energy, money and emotions on our horses – why wouldn’t you want to make it the best possible experience for you both? By investing in high quality training with a qualified, experienced and BHS or UKCC registered coach, you are far more likely to have a great time with your horse and make progress, whatever level you are starting at.
But I don’t think coaching is limited to the actual time you spend in your lessons. It’s the amount of effort you put into your homework (and yes, my clients regularly get things to really focus on and practice in between lessons). Many of my clients do their own research and reading, to improve their own understanding, which I absolutely LOVE. However, I really want to create a resource bank of exercises and activities which riders can access, to help keep them on track with reaching their goals AND to provide inspiration for when you’re riding on your own.
So who am I to offer this? Many of you will know my background, but not everyone, so in a nutshell by experience & qualifications are…
- BHS Accredited Professional Coach – fully registered and insured, with over 15 years experience of teaching & training both horses & riders
- BHS Stage 3 Coach in Complete Horsemanship with Stage 4 Horse Management & Care (my Stage 4 Teach exam is imminent!)
- Broad industry experience – I have competed in affiliated show jumping, eventing & dressage
- I’m also a horse owner! I have two very special boys, mostly-retired Bailey and his bodyguard/therapist/companion friend Blue Cross Gismo
- Extensive experience teaching equine science, management and training in an HE and FE college
- Professional qualifications include PGCE, MSc Equine Science, BSc(hons) Biomedical Science
- Extensive and up-to-date CPD in equestrian coaching, science, management & training
I’m not telling you all this to boast, rather so that you might feel a bit more confident that I do have real, and current, coaching experience with a wide variety of clients, supported by significant understanding of correct and ethical methods of training horses.
Everything is more fun if you can be part of a like-minded community. The Everyday Equestrian Academy is designed to bring together horse owners and riders, who can support each other. My goal is for any horse owner, but particularly grassroots riders, to have the opportunity to join in and develop their riding skills. It doesn’t matter what your starting point is, I promise! All are welcome.
I would say that The Everyday Equestrian Academy is NOT supposed to replace actual lessons with a coach! It is simply impossible to replicate real-time feedback from a trainer. However, the online training packages are designed to help support you between lessons, and during those spells where lessons aren’t feasible for whatever reason.
I really want The Everyday Equestrian Academy to be achievable for as many people as possible, so membership will start at just £15 per month. For that, you’ll have access to the following monthly resources:
- Themed online training package, including clear, instructional videos covering how to set-up and ride the exercises, alongside problem solving
- Downloadable hand-out with tips & tricks to support your training
- Facebook group, only for members, where you can share your successes (and failures!)
- A webinar where you can ask questions, share your experiences and get detailed training in relation to the monthly them
Once you’re a member, you’ll have access to all previous training packages too, so that you can revisit them at any time.
I’d really love as many people as possible to get involved; that way we can really build a community to share best practice, and ultimately to improve both ourselves as riders and our horses. However, in order to offer the very best value I can to those that do subscribe, I’m only opening up the membership a small number of times this year. The first opportunity to join will be at the beginning of March 2019, so if you’re keen to find out more and to hear FIRST when membership is open, just register your interest using the link below:
As a ‘thank you’ for registering your interest, you’ll receive an exclusive set of three training videos via email, based around a pole work exercise, which you can try out.
So that’s it! I cannot begin to tell you how excited I am about this new project – I really believe it will offer a unique training resource and opportunity for lots of riders. Do get in touch if you have any questions, or want to chat about the Academy; I’d love to hear from you!
07973 788 480